Vocational Training and Opportunities Scheme (VTOS)
What is V.T.O.S?
It is a Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme, which is suitable for those adults who have been out of education and wish to return. This scheme allows you to keep your Social Welfare Allowances while attending your course in the college.
You must complete a College Application Form and a VTOS Application form, including a passport size photograph on both forms.
You must be over 21 years of age and have been receiving social welfare benefits for at least 156 days.
Please note: Places are limited on the VTOS programme and are prioritised on the basis of educational need and time in receipt of Social Welfare payments.
Unemployed on Jobseekers Allowance of Jobseekers Benefit.
- One Parent Family Allowance
- Prisoner’s Spouse
- An adult dependent on a person in receipt of unemployment assistance
- A person on Disability Allowance
- A person on Illness benefit (you must apply to the Exemption Section, Dept of Social, Community & Family Affairs, Store St., Dublin 1 for an exemption to attend the course.)
You will remain on your current allowance and any secondary benefits you already have, such as:-
• Fuel Allowance
• Rent Allowance
• Mortgage Interest Supplements
In addition, you may qualify for some or all of the following:
There are no fees for VTOS courses and you will get free books and materials at the start of the course. Depending on your individual circumstances you may be eligible for the following:
• Meal allowance
• Travel allowance
• Free childcare place for your child under the Childcare Employment and Training Support (CETS) scheme
• A training bonus payment, if you have been getting an eligible social welfare payment for at least 12 months before starting the VTOS scheme.
Please note that since 2010, people on PLC courses who are getting VTOS allowances are no longer eligible for student support grants. However, this does not affect any entitlement they may have to exemption from college fees or student contributions.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR VTOS?
VTOS applications must be made on the special VTOS Application Form which you can download here. A hard copy is also available from Lorraine O’Sullivan in the Further Education Office.
Complete Part 1, 2 and 3 of the VTOS application form
(DO NOT complete Part 4 and DO NOT send in the form yourself to Social Welfare). The VTOS coordinator will contact Social Welfare about these details.
Return the form to the Further Education Office in CityNorth College.
The closing date for receipt of 2017/2018 VTOS applications is at 1pm, Friday 22nd September 2017. Places on VTOS are limited. Applications received after the closing date will be considered late applications.
Visit www.studentfinance.ie for information on the different forms of student support.