Maintenance Grant Scheme for Post Leaving Certificate Courses 2018-2019
All grant applications must be made online to a single awarding authority SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland), through http://www.susi.ie/
The Closing date for grant applications is August 1, 2018
- Students who have completed a QQI Level 5 course and are now commencing a QQI Level 6 course are deemed to be commencing a new course and must also apply to the SUSI online system.
- Any student coming direct from Leaving Certificate to a PLC course will not qualify for the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) and should apply for the maintenance grant.
BTEA & VTOS Recipients
- A student is not eligible for a maintenance grant if he or she is in receipt of the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) allowance
- However, a student in receipt of the BTEA or VTOS allowance is eligible to apply for the fee grant elements – a tuition fee, a student contribution and a field trip.
Note to Hairdressing Year 2 Applicants
Students coming from Hairdressing Year 1 must be in receipt of full QQI certification from that year to be eligible for grant aid in the second year.
Component Certificates are not full certificates.
- Student Grant Applications can be made on-line at studentfinance.ie.
- In previous years if a student entered a PLC course and gave up after a few weeks/months then applied at a later date for a grant for another Level 5 course, they were out of funding. Under the 2011 Grant Scheme a student who did not complete a QQI Level 5 course as they dropped out and now wish to do another QQI Level 5 course, can pick up the grant if eligible from the pickup date when an equivalent period of study is done.
A student started a course in Sept. 2014 and dropped out in December 2014. This student now starts another course in September 2015 – once they have completed their study in December 2015 they may be eligible for grant funding from January to May 2016.
Visit www.studentfinance.ie for information on the different forms of student support.